Monday 13 December 2010

The Smoke Alarm ExperienceS

Unlike back home where smoke detectors in houses are scarce, the halls where I am currently living in has smoke detectors placed in the kitchen, one along the corridor and in every single bedroom. I live in a five storey high building. Thus, when one unit sets off the smoke detector, the smoke alarm for the entire building rings! I should say it BLARES so loud till it always feels like your ear drums were going to burst and my heart never fails to beat fast due to the shock of the blaring. It is especially nerve-wrecking to be awaken when one is in deep slumber. I practically jumped out of bed the first time I experienced the smoke alarm going off.

The usual cause of the blaring was not due to real fire, but just the neighbour's excessive 'smokey' cooking or steam after a hot shower, which sets of the sensitive smoke alarm. Having to evacuate everytime the alarm rings INTO the cold outside, isn't exactly FUN....

Just like I was told, after the first false alarm, I will have my own set routine of things to do while evacuating.. like grabbing a jacket and long pants.. then keys... then shoes.. then out the door....

No comments:

Post a Comment