Saturday 30 April 2011

The stench

Luxembourg has a vast amount of farmland and about 1500 farmers. So, there were plenty of sheeps, cows, and pigs. I learnt a lot about being a farmer when I was in Luxembourg. A couple of things I never knew till then:
1. There is such a thing as Farmer's School (high school for kids who want to be farmers) - A four year course.
2. A lot of mental work is required because its a business - A farmer has an office full of files and paperwork to be done.
3. They have to be wary of pests like mice and foxes.
4. A farmer's job is a full time job. Its not a 9-5 job where they can take off on the weekends.
5. They hope for rain everytime so their crops will grow.

Since Luxembourg has plenty of farms, when the wind blows, some areas of Luxembourg smells bad. The bad smell is due to the pigs fart. Most farms have 200 pigs or much more.

Irony:
I tell the farmer I can't stand the smell of the countryside due to the pigs.
He tells me he can't stand living in the city because its smelly.

The locals were immune to the stench too!
"Can you smell that?"
"Huh? What smell. I don't smell anything"

XD

No comments:

Post a Comment