Monday 6 May 2013

Election 2013

I think I felt the passion of the Malaysian people much more than I ever did in previous elections. Not only the old, but the young were standing out too to fight for what they want. Isn't that what a democratic country is all about?

When I was in USA, my American friends were so passionate about the parties they wanted to vote for. They were so involved and knowledgable about political issues going on in their country while for me, I stayed away from politics just because politics is dirty everywhere. It did amaze me that american students in high school and colleges were holding conversations on politics and their opinions mattered. There were also plenty of American homes with American flags hoisted at the front of their houses the entire year, not just during Independence day or election time. How many Malaysian homes put up the Malaysia flag at any other times except Merdeka Day?

I never had interest in politics or election. Election every five years would just pass me by. I wouldnt even read the newspapers about what happened during the previous elections or the outcome of it. But, I guess because of technology -facebook and blogs- there has been so much input and opinions about the election, that its hard not to know at least the gist of what has happened. Its been long known that whatever has been written in our local newspapers were being controlled by the present gov. So, some facts may not be entirely correct. I know of people who have stopped buying newspapers just because of that.

All I am trying to say is that Eventhough I am far away, to be able to feel the vibe of what the people went through this time was encouraging and shows there is still a chance for change, just not this year.

Statistically, it was a pretty close fight.

One change I really want is to be known only as a Malaysian with equal rights, not chinese/indian/muslim Malaysians. I have had Scottish people asking me why We have to be so specific about our race when we were all born in the same country and hold the same colour passports. The People in Singapore are Singaporeans and in Indonesia are Indonesians. No further segregation needed. Also, opportunities should be based on knowledge and capabilities instead of racial quotas. Then, just maybe, more people will proudly hang the Malaysian flags outside their homes instead of the white-green flag or blue flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment