Tuesday 11 December 2012

Alexandra Park, Glasgow

Of late, I have been an avid follower of tours organised by Gary from Student Tours Scotland. I was impressed with the knowledge I gained from the first trip I had with him. In my opinion, following a tour like this gives me a greater insight to the reason why buildings were built or why was a statue placed at that particular place. This kind of history lesson, I do not mind listening to :) Furthermore, the tours were priced reasonably.

Today, we had a walking trip to Denistoun and Alexandra Park. I asked a few others to come along on the tour but they laughed it off because Denistoun is so near where we live. But, I am glad I went. It was a free of charge walking tour. The tour started at GOMA, the meeting point. Since my friends and I were there early, we went inside GOMA to have a look.










After looking at the art pieces on the first floor, I can conclude that I did not appreciate those type of art. My thoughts: How can these be art?? *The ones I took pictures of were decent enough. There were other unimpressive ones* GOMA's library was not too bad. The library membership is free and we get to borrow books!

After 20 minutes, we met up with the rest of the tour outside the museum. Gary gave a brief run through of what we were doing for the day. Initially, the walk was suppose to include the Glasgow Necropolis. But, it was a good thing it was cancelled as it was dark already by the time we walked back from Alexandra Park. I definitely do not want to be walking around in a cemetery at night.

The walk to Alexandra Park took about 30 minutes. Quite a long walk but good thing the weather was decent. We passed through Dennistoun with their rows of houses. Coincidentally, I was actually there yesterday exploring by myself.


Along Duke Street we saw the Tennents Caledonian Academy and its Beer factory. It is a local Scottish beer.


At the entrance of the park there is a huge sign so you cant miss the park.


Because it was winter, the trees at the park had no leaves. It was mostly branches.


By the time we arrived there the sun was setting. There was a fountain with a half frozen pond. We could see ducks and swans there too. There were plenty of them.







So, I had some nice shots of the scenery  The walk was good as the weather was good.



This park was pretty big and I am sure during spring, it would be better. I do look forwards to coming back to Alexandra Park :)

No comments:

Post a Comment